The beginning of the school year is a good time for a reminder of the tax benefits for education. These benefits can help offset qualifying education costs.
Here is information about two tax credits available to those who pay higher education costs for themselves, a spouse or a dependent.
The American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC) is:
- Worth a maximum benefit up to $2,500 per eligible student.
- Only available for the first four years at an eligible educational or vocational school.
- For students pursuing a degree or other recognized education credential.
- Partially refundable. Eligible taxpayers can get up to $1,000 of the credit as a refund, even if they do not owe any tax.
The Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC) is:
- Worth up to $2,000 per tax return, per year, no matter how many students qualify.
- Available for all years of postsecondary education and for courses to acquire or improve job skills.
- Available for an unlimited number of tax years